Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quinoa ?

I admit, I am a picky eater. I could write you a list of what I don't eat, but my fingers would cramp up, and would possibly fall off.  Most people think I'm insane in my eating habits (because its not natural to NOT like cheese with a Z ?) and I'm offten asked "well what do you eat?" the answer lately has been quinoa, one of my favourite foods.
We tend to find quinoa in the grain aisle at the grocers. However, quinoa is not a grain, but rather a chenopod and is related to beets and spinach. I think it's delicious, it has a light nutty taste and is a perfect substitute for rice or noodles. It's a delicious addition to any meal, especially since it's extremely high in iron (20% of daily value per 30g) magnesium (25% dv per 30g) phosphore (10% dv per 30g) fibre (8% dv per 30g) and fat, cholesterol, sugar and sodium are nearly nonexistant.
This "miracle food" has been consumed by Bolivians for hundreds and hundreds of years. A few decades ago it was found by NASA and became popular for all long-term space missions. Now the chenopod is extremely popular within North America, which you'd think would be great, right?
Nuh-uh.
Due to the increase in demand (it's trippled in the last five years) quinoa prices have risen greatly. This does mean that Bolivian farmers have been earning more, but at the same time Bolivians are not able to afford it anymore (a decrease of 34% in Bolivian consumption over the past five years has occured.) So now Bolivians are relying on cheaper processed foods, which is increasing malnutrition within a country that already greatly struggles with it.
Bolivian government officials are aware of the nutrition struggle within the country and have been working towards increasing domestic quinoa consumption for lesser prices, as well as making the chenopod available in meals for the armed forces and in school breakfeasts.
Until then, however, I think that quinoa will have to move off of my favourites list and into my uneatables.
-Em

Eco-Note for the day: EAT LOCALLY! Try to support a 100 mile diet! Support your local farmers and food procucers (to support the local economy), minimize food's travel (to minimize green house gases) !

No comments:

Post a Comment