Friday, March 4, 2011

a fourth of an aisle...

I was in the Bay today with my sister, who was trying to find the perfect gift for her friend's birthday party. Amongst all the toys there were -of course- Bieber trivia games, floofy stuffed animals and monster trucks, the one thing I did not see much of however was Barbies.
 They demoted Barbies to a FOURTH of an aisle guys. A fourth! (My mom's walking by me and my computer right now and is sighing and saying "em are you still going on about that?!") but I'm actually quite devistated! (she's snickering now.... ANYHOW-) We have an entire chest of drawers in our family room dedicated to all my Barbies, I used to spend hours and hours playing house and games with all my Kellys and Kens! But there is a measley four options of Barbies at the Bay, -and a few hundred options of killing video games!
Some people argue that Barbies are negative influences on young girls. I need to point out though that the dolls are firstly multi-cultural, inclusve and universal. The first African Barbie (Christine) was introduced in the 1980s, shortly followed by a Spanish and Asian Barbie. Barbie is furthermore extremely independant I mean she's a teacher, a dentist, a baby-sitter, a scientist, an astronaut, a doctor, a dog sitter, a horse and dolphin trainer, a snowboarder and surfer, she has her own VW beatle (my Barbies share the silver one) and her own "barbie house of dreams" She accomplishes all of this while maintaining a healthy body and fashionable -and relatively unreavealing clothing style, (have you seen those other dolls with the giant heads and feet?) Seriously, is there anything that Barbie can't do?
It seems that today games targeted towards children revolve around electronic games -preferably of the killing variety- Children need a better role model, and more imaginative games, children need more than a fourth of an aisle.
-em

No comments:

Post a Comment