Friday, February 25, 2011

Canadian visible minorities

Canada prides its self on being multicultural and accepting to all kinds of people, but is that all an illusion?Since I can remember I've always had teachers tell me that part of what makes us Canadian is that we accept all people from a any walks of life and we should be proud.Then why are there visible minorities? Studies have shown that immigrants who come to Canada as children make less money even after living in the country for most of their lives. The children of visible minorities are more likely to go to university than the rest of the population, yet they make 18% less money.Are these the Canadian values we pride ourselves on?When I read an article in the Globe and Mail about visible Canadian minorities, my illusion of Canada as an example of different people working together in Harmony shattered. Luckily being part of the next generation hopefully I can help change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment